Driving Up Capacity and Driving Down TCO for Cloud and Hyperscale Data Centers
The breadth and depth of Big Data is driving the universal need for higher capacities across a broad spectrum of applications and workloads. Laying the foundation for a worry-free data center, Western Digital delivers the capacity to conquer the data explosion with the Ultrastar DC HC500 series of hard disk drives (HDDs). The DC HC500 series is designed for public and private cloud environments where storage density and cost-efficient infrastructure is critical.
The 18TB/16TB Ultrastar DC HC550 HDDs are the first commercial implementation of Energy-Assisted Magnetic Recording technology and utilize the industrys first Triple Stage Actuator. These technologies, integrated with HelioSeal on a 9-disk platform, deliver the highest areal density and unmatched Total Cost of Ownership for customer and market needs.
- Up to 18TB capacity in a standard 3.5-inch form factor
- Industrys first Energy-Assisted Magnetic Recording technology
- Industrys first Triple Stage Actuator
- Leading HelioSeal technology
- Reliable, field-proven design across five generations
- HelioSeal design delivers power efficiency (Watts/TB)
Applications and Workloads
- Cloud & Hyperscale Storage
- Massive Scale-Out (MSO), high-density data centers
- Distributed File Systems
- Bulk storage using Object storage solutions like Ceph and OpenStack Swift
- Primary and secondary storage for Apache Hadoop for Big Data Analytics
- Surveillance Analytics